Tuesday, February 10, 2009

my shelter and my sheild

I think it is often apparent to me that God works in themes in my life. Lately, as a super emotional pregnant woman and a "soon-to-be" parent I often stop and think...What am I doing? I am going to be responsible for a little life? Look at these crazy middle school and high school kids, how am I going to protect my child? How am I going to make sure he/she is safe and secure? Will I be a good parent? What if I lose my patience? How am I going to handle all I have going on and a newborn?

I am in no way implying that I am not overjoyed at the news of this child, but only saying that there are lots of fears that can arise with this new responsibility.

I heard a song on that I can't even remember what it said accept "we dwell in the SHELTER of the MOST-HIGH." I could not get that line out of my head. How comforting is that? I have everything I need to be a parent "dwelling in the shelter of the most-high"...the most, high!

It then got me thinking about singing Amazing Grace at church the other day and how my eyes would tear up at "he will my shield and fortress be" because I kept envisioning angels shielding and protecting both me and the baby.

When I looked up the "dwell verse" there was the "shield word"!

Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ... 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. 7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. 11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; 12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."


I am so confident knowing that myself, my husband, my child, my family, and my friends all DWELL in the shelter of the most-high. What more protection and security could I ask for? He has promised good to me, His word my hope secures, He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures.

Wade often prays Psalm 103 over us in the morning and every morning I am thankful that we are "not treated as our sins deserve", but instead can rest His shelter. That is grace!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Bless Him for His precious Word. The Lord will FIGHT for you as you and Wade raise that sweet thing and protect it from thistles and briars in this world.

We love you.