Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane IKE

Well things aren't looking good. The storm surge has already put most of Galveston under water, but we think we will be safe here. We are finishing packing up our "most important things" and are about to head over to my parent's house. We are taking all of our non-perishable food and water supply and packing a few days worth of clothes just in case. We might bunk up with the Hendershot's if things get bad so we can all be together.

I found out how to email the Blog from my Blackberry, so I will keep posting once the storm starts. Keep sending comments because we get them on our phones and love to hear from you. Thank you for the prayers!

I just read something neat:

Luke 8 22-25

22One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. 23As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.
24The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25"Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

This was the footnote in my bible: When caught in the storms of life, it is easy to think that God has lost control and that we're at the mercy of the winds of fate. In reality, God is sovereign. He controls the history of the world as well as our personal destinies. Just as Jesus calmed the waves, he can calm whatever storms you may face.

I tend to get a little anxious, but I will find rest in peace in that.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I am standing on the promise of Psalm 91 and in doing so, I also found this little jewel from Psalm 93: "The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea - the Lord on high is mighty."