Friday, September 19, 2008

this city...

Well I had a moment this morning...

I got to get my car out of the garage after 6 days and drive it to work... Why?... because...

WE HAVE POWER!!!! I called our house after dinner and have never been so happy to hear my voice on an answering machine. We packed up and headed home. My parents were so gracious and wonderful to have us and provide for us the way they did and we are so thankful. I will say though that "there is NO place like home."

Anyways, back to the car...

I had forgotten what CD I had in my player and Chris Tomlin's - God of this City came on. Let me tell you that I had to hold back the tears so that I didn't look like a total idiot when I got to work, but the song just tugged at my heart.

I love Houston. I have lived here (or around here) my whole life. I am speaking for my husband too, because I know that he feels the same way. We LOVE this city! (I know I'm repeating myself!) It might not be the most beautiful city on earth, and yes there may be questionable retail establishments by churches, and you may see a homeless person at ever intersection, but this is OUR city. The sense of community, the hearts of the people, the opportunity to be a light and the neighbors helping neighbors. Just to warn you, don't ever get into an argument with either one of us about not liking Houston!

Anyways, back to the song...

This song touches me because where we live is a BIG city. We have brokeness and poverty and hurting everyday here, but this hurricane has caused major damage. I am driving down the road hearing this song seeing every billboard demolished, seeing a mile long line at every gas station, thinking of working by lamplight in my office, watching people suffer who have lost their homes. It breaks my heart for our city (Galveston included).

The neat thing is...there is a GOD of this city and every city. AND

HE is the King of these people

the Lord of this nation

Greater things have yet to come

Great things are still to be done In this city

HE is the Lord of Creation

THE King above all Kings

strength in our weakness

love to the broken

joy in the sadness

The city and it's people will be healed and may the Lord be praised! I found this neat video of the song on YouTube if you have never heard it. Pray for Houston, pray for power to be restored, pray for homes to be rebuilt, pray for businesses to thrive again...and most importantly pray for the hurting people to come to know God and the peace that only he can bring.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

We can claim the promise below and never lose hope.
Psalm 34:17-19
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.

Pat Taylor said...

I can sure see why that song touched your heart. God's timing
is always perfect.

Gina said...

i love you lauren. that song has come alive in my heart as well over the past few weeks. He IS God of our precious city and His presence is continually faithful to us, even admist such destruction. glad you guys are well.